National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day is observed annually on November 15. Get together a soap and hot water filled bucket, disinfectant, a sponge, a food waste container, and you are ready for the day!
The timing is perfect as Thanksgiving is coming soon. We will need room for all of the upcoming leftovers.
As a bonus, Melrose residents will be able to drop off home generated food scrap at a special composting event at the Melrose Harvest Market on Sunday, November 18th from 10am – 2pm, Memorial Hall.
This special offering by Black Earth Compost provides residents with an opportunity to divert food waste from their normal trash. Dispose of items like:
- dairy products
- food scraps
- animal greases and fats
- full list of items for compost bin
Collect food waste in large yogurt containers or other covered plastic containers, paper bags, plastic bags, and milk cartons. To reduce odors, store these containers in the freezer or refrigerator.
Some suggestions for your refrigeration cleaning are:
- empty each shelf
- completely wipe down the inside of the refrigerator
- wash drawers and underneath the drawers
- throw away or compost expired food
- get rid of anything that you do not use
- vacuum condenser coils
- vacuum out under the refrigerator
- restock shelves and drawers with good food